Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Response_02

In his paper, Jorge Silvetti gives us a clear and very straight forward of the 4 main different types of approaches in today’s making of an architectural project. I think that he has a great way of describing them and as I was reading it made a lot of sense and I could definitely think of buildings relating to each of these categories.

However what really caught my attention in this essay was when he writes that “perhaps it is time to accept that metaphor in architecture is useful as a sparkle, as a starter, as a guide, or as a shadow, […], but always treading on dangerous borderlines between the sublime and the ridiculous. “ It reminded me of Pablo’s presentation of last week and him saying that bullshit was the most common word he got as a response to the question “what is a thesis?”

Throughout my years in architecture shool, I have found that there are a lot of projects that I have seen a lot of project that rely on a “logical bullshit” in order to explain why the building is a certain way. I have myself also used bullshit concepts to start a project, however I think that the hardest part of it was to step away from that metaphor (or BS, however you want to call it) and really think about the building, or architecture, as a free standing thing that people need to use in every day life, and is making the form more organic or literal really going to change the way people need to use a building, does it make it easier to use? In my opinion, I think that a concept is a great way to start a project, however it has to quickly either “disappear”, or more specifically get translated into tectonic issues and architectural forms.

1 comment:

  1. Although I agree that metaphors in architecture do have the "BS" aspect in them, they also play a role in making a piece of architecture unique. Metaphors at the initial stages of a project can bring out the passion of the architect for the project. It is the only time when the architect can express his/her subjective views on the design, before moving on to design development and construction development, which quite honestly, are much more tedious than the former. Metaphors are what makes dull architecture fun again.

    ReplyDelete