Monday, August 31, 2009

Response_01

In Jose Luis Mateo’s essay, he gives the reader an explanation as to what is the best way to start a project, and how to translate it from conceptual to physical. He makes a point that the best ideas come from being very vague at the conceptual stage of the project, and to be “imprecise”, meaning not having a defined shape or object but letting it be more of an idea as to what the project’s intent is. Afterwards, the next step of that project is to start forming a bone structure then a skin that are unique to that project and are a result of the original ideas.
Therefore, what I get from this essay is that the final product should be a resultant of the concept and that the concept should be readable when looking at the final product.
In that sense, I agree with Jose Luis Mateo. Throughout my years of studio, my favorite and projects, in my opinion were the ones that had a “gaseous” concept that came to be very obvious when looking at the final product. I think that this idea of process also is very relevant when he says: “if a project is a process, it is a process with a fixed direction”. My best projects where the ones that had this fixed direction.

1 comment:

  1. As you said that your favorite projects were the ones that had gaseous concepts, I think that gaseous concepts give us a goal to work for. Although gaseous bodies are vague and abstract, I think concepts have strong will or something that makes us want to devote our time and effort in the projects. So we end up with a good project when we have a good concept in the beginning because it affects rest of the process. So these gaseous bodies sets a fixed direction and it is a very important step in the process of architecture.

    ReplyDelete